Sunday, February 10, 2008

Sunday Good.

Friday not so much. I finally got the Ick that AK had most of the week late Thursday. Friday was a complete wash. Totally useless was I. I want to say I got some Lux work done. But I was so spaced out that I made mistakes that took all of Saturday to fix. This put me, at the end of Saturday, right where I would have been had I not done any work on Friday.

I did get to have a mini film festival, catching up on all the Netflixes I don't have time to watch anymore. I watched:
Sunshine: Cool psycho-SciFi film with great music. Completely wacky ending. I'd need to watch it 3 or 4 more times to explain the ending.
Solaris: Sci-Fi love story psycho-thriller. The kind of movie that makes you say "I bet this was/would have been a great book". Turns out it was not only a great book but a more true-to-the-book movie was made in '72. So I've got the '72 version on my want list now.
The Fountain: Just downright freaky. But good. This was one of the rare movies that I liked much less AFTER I watched the special features. When you learn the movie nearly got not-made 3 times, the director is a yob, and no one had any fun doing the work -- the movie becomes less appealing.
Also recently, I saw an old Australian post-apocalypse film called:
The Quiet Earth: Surpirsingly good! Netflix it.

Saturday had me working on Lux and recovering and celebrating Max's recent skiing accomplishment: TUSCALOOSA! or Tuscarora or Talladega or something. It's the next most challenging ski hill at Tussey Mountain. Again, this is sooooo good for him. AK had been out among the living all day, so I got to go to the church's leadership conference broadcast on "Growing a Mountanous Posterior". Not really, it was "Building a Righteous Posterity" and was all about family.

Today we just barely made it to Church on time despite being very together and collected and leaving in plenty of time. We had a sudden onset of BLIZZARD happen on our way to church! Complete whiteout no-visibility. Wacky. I passed the sacrament with all of the other "Teachers" and "Priests" (those are young men) and even though I had the easiest of the jobs I managed to somehow mess it up. :(. This, along with blessing and preparing the sacrament a little later, is part of me doing the Aaronic Priesthood thing. After all that's done, and probably some other stuff I don't know about yet, I can be a Melchezidek Priesthood holder like all of the other men at church. Mostly it's a young man/grown man thing, though technically it's a temporal needs/spiritual needs thing. The office of Bishop, the leader of the whole ward, is technically an office of the Aaronic Priesthood because his work is about meeting the worldly needs of everyone. In any case I'm glad to be over that hump. Maybe next week I'll be the guy who does more advanced sacrament passing? Wonder how long it's been since someone spilled a whole basket of Jesus Shooters on the Bishop?

Also at church today the boys of Troop 40's Lightning Patrol received a nice large plaque. For their platypus-themed sled -- which gave us visions of "Most Creative Sled Design" -- they received "Sled Most Likely To Fall Apart". Hm. A Dubious honor indeed. It is my hope that many plaques were handed out, not just ONE because there were HUNDREDS of sleds there and as, well, fallen apart as it was by the end of the day it just COULDN'T have been the the worst one. It is also my hope that what really happened was, well, out of hundreds of teams, we made an impression. Maybe we got this award because there wasn't an award for "Best Team Cheer", since several Station Mayors were very impressed with the boy's Lighting Patrol Cheer (not Playtpus-themed, but learning a song is HARD and it's taken us since the Fall just to get the cheer right). Those are my hopes. Hey, it's a plaque! It will go into a display case at church, along with the 2nd Place Overall plaque from, like, decades ago. And for all time and eternity it will read "AZTEC PLATYPII" on it. And that will help 5 boys and one man to remember a very special, very fun Klondike Derby. So that's good. I guess :/

Then I had to go to the store. That kind of blew. The store was fine, on account of being heated, actually. It was the putting in the Taurus of the $40 of gas that blew. On account of the 14 degrees and the howling wind and the NO HAIR.

But then we all had AK's spicy bean soup for dinner with a wide variety of Wegmans baguettes, and that fixes a lot of the universe's wrongs right there. Then we all sat on the floor and joked and played Jumpin' Monkeys. Then we played with finger puppets, which led to a game where the finger puppets are systematically slaughtered by the giant poodle that comes along and eats them off your fingers. VERY. FUNNY right there. Twins were actually turning blue from lack of oxygen. Comedy is serious, folks, use with care. Now Max and AK are planning out the raised gardens Gramma Gaye has recently approved for her vast backyard. The names of the varieties are greek to me, but I'm pretty sure they are talking about Thisberries and Thoseberries and Theotherberries and that is berry, berry good news. Ben and Milo are working together on Jump Start 1st Grade software.

State College is beautiful these last two days with a good cover of snow. The wind is howling like a monster. I love seasons. I love weather. I love the valleys and the twisty roads over the diagonal ranges of Northern Appalachia. So much of our story has yet to be written, but it's great to know the setting is exactly what it will be for the next 12 years. One mystery solved.

It was the kind of Sunday I look forward to having on Mondays and Tuesdays etc. . . . As soon as I'm done with Lux work and can focus on really being here when I'm here. I'm tired of the 2 Job Boogie!

 

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Pupp Daddy Dog spends his days working as an entrepeneur and as a Dad. He is passionately in love with/obsessively neurotic about his family. Imagine Kicking Bird mixed with Albert Brooks. Oh, and throw in some Notorious B.I.G.

 

Alaska is the frustrated but caring cat at the center of our canine universe. All of us alternately worship, rely on and ceaselessly whine to her. Her need to control everything is confounded by the fact that she really pretty much does control everything, so in her few free moments, she knits and searches desperately for things to fuss about.

 

 

Max is smart and handsome, with a big heart. He is not only growing like a weed, but he has the attention span and concentration abilities of a weed. Despite my best efforts, AK keeps feeding him and he keeps growing. Our plan is to keep him so busy with school, sports & the arts that he won't notice he's a teenager and is supposed to hate us. T minus 2.5 years to teen launch, so far so good.

 

 

 Ben and Milo are phenomenal little creatures who remind us minute-by-minute not only how little control we have in this world, but why we should cease our controlling efforts and just laugh at all of God's jokes. Lately, Milo likes to dance and is good on the piano. Ben likes to mimic Max and enjoys manipulating adults and anyone else who has no idea how quietly brilliant he is. Both of them would love your full and complete attention. Really, stop reading silly blogs and join the fan club now. Ok? Ok.

 

 

 

 

 

 

  

 

Zee's Designs

Blogger