Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Nasal Irrigation

Eeeeeew.

But really. I get very very bad allergies in both the Fall and the Spring, I'm allergic to both trees and grasses. And cats. And oxygen. But a couple of years ago I flushed out the ole shnozz for about 4 night straight using a waterpik attachment and AK's patented Cavity Cleanse recipe. And I haven't suffered from allergies much since at all. If I ever do, just a couple of hose jobs and I'm back in action.

So after the 4,877,412th time I asked Max at dinner to either chew with his mouth closed or slow down & breathe between bites -- AK brewed up a new batch of Nose Hose Chablis for Max. She showed him her way of irrigating, I showed him mine. He's done it for 2 or 3 days now, and while the jury is out on whether it'll cure his terminal cloggage . . . he hasn't snored for the last 2 nights.

It's weird, no doubt. But it works. And it's not as weird as my old hippie Philosophy professor who told us how he learned to do it by snorting water up his nose and spitting it out his mouth. No, I believe we are downright conservative in our irrigation methods! You set the waterpik on low power and aim straight back (if you aim UP you'll get a total underwater-somersault-without-holding-your-nose headache). And I don't know what sort of frogs toes or eyes-of-newt goes into the witches brew but I think that helps too.

Lux: Two more bodies to go, then it's just paint the remaining inventory for Ebay at my leisure. Homestretch goooood. AK is strapping in for a month of hairy, nasty, pimple-ridden work deadlines so I'll be needed everywhere in the house OTHER than the paintshop.

 

 

6 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

I totally irrigate my noses every time I get sick. It helps to get over the ick faster. I had a dr friend tell me when I had a sinus infection that it is as effective as taking antibiotics. I'll have to ask AK for the recipe. I get allergies too. Glad things are working out at you job and LUX is almost done. Cheers.
S.

8:13 AM  
Blogger Dy said...

I need to get AK's recipe for Nose Hose Chablis! Zorak has a "severely deviated septum", for which he will require surgery, but he insists it can wait til '09 (ACK!) In the meantime, the man is getting a neti pot for his birthday this spring. :-) I hate to see him miserable.

Glad to hear poor Max is feeling a little better. I'll bet dinner's a bit more pleasant, too. ;-)

Dy

8:18 AM  
Blogger PupDaddy said...

OK, I just had to google "Neti Pot" and it looks like the same concept. Except it looks (you must see the YouTube videos, especially the guy who Neti-Pots coffee and booze. . . ) much neater in the demo videos. When we do it, well, what with the waterpik, and the body contortions from water being where some might argue it ought not. . . we take up the whole room.

1:14 PM  
Blogger Twinkle said...

You get allergies in Spring you say - does that mean that it's currently Spring for you?

::sigh:: I guess I can't complain too much, as it's finally not -45 ever day... ;)

10:31 AM  
Blogger The Queen said...

It is DEFINITELY not spring here in Central PA at 1,000 ft above sea level.

But Max is chronically congested--it's just that he's congested AND his eyes and face are so itchy he wants to rub them off--in the spring.

We haven't been able to figure out why he's chronically congested except that, well, he is. The nasal irrigation has been helping him breathe better, and I swear he's sleeping better at night.

Dy: boil a quart of water. Add 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp baking soda, mix. Let cool to body temp. If you use a neti pot, you only need about 1/4 of that in a session. We use a special nasal irrigator attachment on a water pik--rumored to be somewhat more effective in fighting infections or cleaning out dried mucus because the pulsating action gets all the corners if you will ;)

12:01 PM  
Blogger Dy said...

*shudder at the visual that imparts* You'd think I wouldn't be so squeamish at this point in life... lol. But I've also learned to live by the philosophy, "Hey, whatever works!"

Thanks so much for the recipe! And the info. Much obliged. :-)
Dy

10:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Pupp Daddy Dog spends his days working as an entrepeneur and as a Dad. He is passionately in love with/obsessively neurotic about his family. Imagine Kicking Bird mixed with Albert Brooks. Oh, and throw in some Notorious B.I.G.

 

Alaska is the frustrated but caring cat at the center of our canine universe. All of us alternately worship, rely on and ceaselessly whine to her. Her need to control everything is confounded by the fact that she really pretty much does control everything, so in her few free moments, she knits and searches desperately for things to fuss about.

 

 

Max is smart and handsome, with a big heart. He is not only growing like a weed, but he has the attention span and concentration abilities of a weed. Despite my best efforts, AK keeps feeding him and he keeps growing. Our plan is to keep him so busy with school, sports & the arts that he won't notice he's a teenager and is supposed to hate us. T minus 2.5 years to teen launch, so far so good.

 

 

 Ben and Milo are phenomenal little creatures who remind us minute-by-minute not only how little control we have in this world, but why we should cease our controlling efforts and just laugh at all of God's jokes. Lately, Milo likes to dance and is good on the piano. Ben likes to mimic Max and enjoys manipulating adults and anyone else who has no idea how quietly brilliant he is. Both of them would love your full and complete attention. Really, stop reading silly blogs and join the fan club now. Ok? Ok.

 

 

 

 

 

 

  

 

Zee's Designs

Blogger