Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Billy Joel. Skiing. Whatever.

So Max and I went to go see "Movin' Out" and it was a blast. It was, really, a "rock ballet" in so far as there were no lines recited. There was an expanded rock band and a "Piano Man" hanging from the ceiling to play all of the Billy Joel music. Then there were dancers, who acted out the story of a group of friends through the 50s, 60s & 70s & 80s exclusively through dance. Max was very excited about it, and I think enjoyed it a great deal though he surely had no frame of reference for such a unique "play". I know it's made an impression on him, as he talks about it quite a bit and usually has a Billy Joel song in his head lately.



There were 1.5 exclusively adult-themed numbers, the really racy one being a drugged hitting-bottom scene to "Captain Jack". The other had two lovers, worlds apart, being simultaneously tempted by the fruit of another. I imagine (hope) most of the Captain Jack bit was over his head. But on the other one, he had a question. He asked it. I answered it. No big deal. Well, OK, big deal. But I can't help but think somehow we're doing something right because he was comfortable enough to ask his father about something he didn't understand and it didn't occur to him to feel weird or ashamed or awkward in any way about not knowing or wanting to know. :)

He's also going to see a student-produced play at Penn State with his class next week and looking forward to that. Our pirate play in Readers Theater is going well now that it's finally cast. Now the 5th and 6th graders need to memorize their lines. Eek. This is why we were doing READERS THEATER instead of THEATER THEATER! Oh well. It's a smaller group this semester of really enthused kids, they are ready to do a "real" play I think. Max is the only boy in the class, and for this reason he is completely useless to me.

Next year? Totally teaching a photography class instead.

Ski Class is another timedrain for us lately. We have been fortunate that so far most of the ski classes we paid so much for have actually had snow to ski on. But Max has made SUCH PROGRESS this year. For once he gets to actually feel competent and competitive with his peers in a sporting event of some kind. He gets to be scared, face his fears, and emerge triumphant somehow every time he goes to one of this twice weekly classes. The twins have taken up the pursuit, as much as 6 year olds can. Here they are not skiing. . .



. . .and here they are manipulating the instructors by lecturing on the Hults Agenda instead of skiing down the scary hill. . .




Straight Job: I joke that Pointy Haired Boss is my alter ego at work. It's a way for me to be self-deprecating and easygoing with my charges, while also hopefully functioning as a couterpoint to highlight that I am NOT a completely incompetent supervisor.



The job is strange and familiar. It's challenging and has a bright future and I get to do a lot of what I'm good at. And it will never pay enough to make up for the time I'm not spending with my family :(. AK assures me it's saving our patootie right now, since one of her clients is not paying on time. And I try to take solace in that. But the whole point was to get ahead and get ahead fast. I never wanted it to become just-something-I-go-do-everyday. What makes it so hard right now is that I can't let Lux Graphics go until the orders are all filled. THEN I can really BE HOME when I come home. I think that will be rewarding for me, I'll feel less disconnected compared to how connected I was before -- and AK could sure use the help around the house. I look forward to applying myself in photography when Lux is gone, and at the same time wonder how I'll buy photogrpahy equipment or classes. . . . with Lux gone.

Change is in the air. These wonderful, wide-open party primaries are likely to be less interesting and wide-open after today. But it will make us focus even more intently on our futures. It will force us to ask ourselves just what is important, just what do we want in our leaders and our government. And that (prioritizing, planning, dreaming) is a good habit to start, even if -- like so many good habits -- we fall away again and again.

My employer is completely changing the very fundamentals of how it produces it's product.

My church has a new leader at the very highest (OK not THE highest. . . but you know. . . ) level.

My son is entering puberty. New babies are popping up like poopy, pukey, adorable and life-affirming little poppies.

Our economy is now, almost, oficially, getting tight. I can't believe they are just now reporting "It might. . . actually . . . officially . . . be a recession!" We've been receding here for a couple of years already.

And Mercury is in retrograde. So watch out. I have NO faith of any kind in Astrology. It's superstition. Like Stevie said, when you believe in things you don't understand then you suffer. Despite my most vehement bah's, pshaw's and poo poo's -- my life still turns to a steaming pile of dog crap due to breakdowns in technology and communications every time that little red star starts to move backwards acros the sky. For the next few weeks? Don't move your laptops. Don't upgrade to Vista. And when in doubt, just call, don't e-mail.

Rock on my blog reading peeps. Both of you. Hang in there.

 

 

1 Comments:

Blogger Shop Girl said...

There are at least 3 of us. And we LIVE for the days you blog.

11:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Pupp Daddy Dog spends his days working as an entrepeneur and as a Dad. He is passionately in love with/obsessively neurotic about his family. Imagine Kicking Bird mixed with Albert Brooks. Oh, and throw in some Notorious B.I.G.

 

Alaska is the frustrated but caring cat at the center of our canine universe. All of us alternately worship, rely on and ceaselessly whine to her. Her need to control everything is confounded by the fact that she really pretty much does control everything, so in her few free moments, she knits and searches desperately for things to fuss about.

 

 

Max is smart and handsome, with a big heart. He is not only growing like a weed, but he has the attention span and concentration abilities of a weed. Despite my best efforts, AK keeps feeding him and he keeps growing. Our plan is to keep him so busy with school, sports & the arts that he won't notice he's a teenager and is supposed to hate us. T minus 2.5 years to teen launch, so far so good.

 

 

 Ben and Milo are phenomenal little creatures who remind us minute-by-minute not only how little control we have in this world, but why we should cease our controlling efforts and just laugh at all of God's jokes. Lately, Milo likes to dance and is good on the piano. Ben likes to mimic Max and enjoys manipulating adults and anyone else who has no idea how quietly brilliant he is. Both of them would love your full and complete attention. Really, stop reading silly blogs and join the fan club now. Ok? Ok.

 

 

 

 

 

 

  

 

Zee's Designs

Blogger