Saturday, September 08, 2007

There is a Special Level of Hell for Bloggers Like Me

Yup. SO going to hell here. But it's with all due respect. And AK will deny it to St. Peter but she giggled too.

Going to Mormon For Beginners class (Nephi for Neophytes? Priesthood Preschool?) a few weeks ago, they had a large portrait of Jesus at the front of the room. Really, it was large. So large that you can't help but stare at it for a minute. As I stared, I commented that it must be hard to have to paint Jesus in today's age of media, because you have to somehow paint him in a way that he does NOT resemble some actor, politician or celebrity. This is the picture we were looking at:



David Hasselhoff, no? Am I right? I'll never watch Knight Rider the same way again. And not just because I'm never watching Knight Rider again. Concerned about lightning bolts of righteous and eternal damnation, I let the issue lie at that time.

But then Missionaries came to visit, and left pamphlets, because no one finds their own spiritual path without pamphlets. And I'll be darned if they didn't have more portraits of Jesus on them! Here is a young Robert Deniro . . .



And here we have. . . .



. . . Woody Harrelson.

I Heard somewhere that we're judged by the company we keep. It might be baloney. Or even Hooey. Even so, I concluded in a college paper in an Ethics class that while we do have a complex innate ethical system, we've been completely unsuccessful at defining/understanding it, so we should just seek out the enlightened people, hang around with them, and hope that some enlightenment rubs off on us. I have done so, and I think my friends would agree. Few of my friends would argue that I have decidedly exquisite taste in friends. Yes I count many enlightened individuals in my Franklin Planner. They're mixed in there with a lot of Minnesota Honda Dealers. If you're wondering what the enlightenment factor of your posse is, you might want to use the following as a guideline.

I know I'm hangin' with the hip, consorting with the cultivated and working with the wise because. . . .
-They name their dogs after Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy characters
-They have Opus the Penguin tattoos
-They quote Buckaroo Banzai and Joe vs. The Volcano
-They have "dog voices". And use them. At every opportunity.
-They have machine shops in their basements and fabricate for you anything you could imagine for less than 57 cents and will then recite the story of how they did so beyond their graves.
-They wear capes.
-They ride motorcycles and go as fast as the motorcycle can possibly go -- but only on very small motorcycles that don't go very fast.
-They'd rather watch Muppet Show episodes from 25 years ago than anything on TV today.

There are more reasons, as a matter of fact I'm reminded almost daily of my friends' and associates enlightenment. So much enlightenment has rubbed off on me, I think I need to take a shower. How do you know your society is spirtually savvy?

 

 

2 Comments:

Blogger Twinkle said...

hehehe, you picked one of my favourite things EVER - I call it "Cheesus" - excessively cheesy pictures/etc of Jesus. While I didn't see those actor's faces right away, I was struck by the extremely white nature of those pictures of Jesus...

For further Cheesus fun, check out Gadgets for God at http://www.shipoffools.com/Gadgets/index.html - i think my favourite stuff is the HeBREW (Hebraic Beer??), the Punching Amish doll, and the Armour of God pjs for kids...

fun times!!

9:29 AM  
Blogger The Queen said...

Omigosh, I totally want the Armour of God pjs for the boys. That is SO kewl! (not touching the rest of that convo with 10-foot pole)

8:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Pupp Daddy Dog spends his days working as an entrepeneur and as a Dad. He is passionately in love with/obsessively neurotic about his family. Imagine Kicking Bird mixed with Albert Brooks. Oh, and throw in some Notorious B.I.G.

 

Alaska is the frustrated but caring cat at the center of our canine universe. All of us alternately worship, rely on and ceaselessly whine to her. Her need to control everything is confounded by the fact that she really pretty much does control everything, so in her few free moments, she knits and searches desperately for things to fuss about.

 

 

Max is smart and handsome, with a big heart. He is not only growing like a weed, but he has the attention span and concentration abilities of a weed. Despite my best efforts, AK keeps feeding him and he keeps growing. Our plan is to keep him so busy with school, sports & the arts that he won't notice he's a teenager and is supposed to hate us. T minus 2.5 years to teen launch, so far so good.

 

 

 Ben and Milo are phenomenal little creatures who remind us minute-by-minute not only how little control we have in this world, but why we should cease our controlling efforts and just laugh at all of God's jokes. Lately, Milo likes to dance and is good on the piano. Ben likes to mimic Max and enjoys manipulating adults and anyone else who has no idea how quietly brilliant he is. Both of them would love your full and complete attention. Really, stop reading silly blogs and join the fan club now. Ok? Ok.

 

 

 

 

 

 

  

 

Zee's Designs

Blogger