Friday, June 29, 2007

Ratatouille

Oh my gizzle, I'm breathless. Ever since The Incredibles, I've been greatful to the heavens that John Lasseter invited Brad Bird to come in and tell his own story his own way. He is able to, like the rest of the Pixar people, let the story be the star of the story. But his stories are just a little deeper, and told just a little more subtly, but with all the more impact. You may find yourself being moved as you watch this movie for the first time, yet not knowing, or being able to articulate anyway, why exactly.

The critics are abuzz about it, as am I. I predict that, like The Incredibles, it will not be the blockbuster that other Pixar films have been. With The Incredibles, they had to market it as SOMEthing, so it was clear from watching the previews that it was going to be a hilarious send up of superheroes. Well, it wasn't. It wasn't at all. I remember seeing for the first time in a Corona, CA theater and knowing I liked it a great deal but wondering just what kind of movie I just watched. It was that different from what anyone expected in a Pixar film (aside from the people who had seen "The Iron Giant" and knew it was the same guy). Well this time, they made a point it would seem to not sell the film as any particular kind of film in the previews. I'd seen all the previews numerous times and still didn't know just what to expect.

The opening short was gut-bustingly funny, an outrageous concept with brilliant physical comedy execution.

The film was visually stunning, and somehow upped the CGI ante once again. There may be more studios than ever putting out animated features faster and cheaper than ever -- but Pixar holds the title for at least another year

The story was told with little-to-no cliches. And I must be getting old because even the cliche jokes ("I don't mean to be rude. . . . but I'm French. . . ") made me laugh out loud. The message of the story was anything but obvious, so when it hits you, you get to feel like you solved a mystery. As Peter O'Tooles character lays it all out, all the pieces come together and . . . well, I didn't cry. Nope. You know me. I'm a rock, dammit :).

I applaud Peter O'Toole for not only voicing the character brilliantly but having a full-on comeback at the age of 174. I applaud Janeanne Garafaolo for -- for the first time I'm aware of -- playing a character without a hint of Janeanne Garafaolo in it. Or for making me believe it, anyway.

Max's reaction? "I dont' get it". This from a kid who, while emotionally immature in some ways, is nothing if not eloquent about his emotions. His heart is on his sleeve and he "gets" things on the gut level very easily. Sad that it won't be the boxoffice smash that Nemo or even Cars were, but I look forward to watching it -- as I have The Incredibles -- several hundred times on DVD. I'm sure I'll appreciate it more an more every time. I SURE hope Brad Bird gets to make a 3rd Pixar film. . .

 

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Pupp Daddy Dog spends his days working as an entrepeneur and as a Dad. He is passionately in love with/obsessively neurotic about his family. Imagine Kicking Bird mixed with Albert Brooks. Oh, and throw in some Notorious B.I.G.

 

Alaska is the frustrated but caring cat at the center of our canine universe. All of us alternately worship, rely on and ceaselessly whine to her. Her need to control everything is confounded by the fact that she really pretty much does control everything, so in her few free moments, she knits and searches desperately for things to fuss about.

 

 

Max is smart and handsome, with a big heart. He is not only growing like a weed, but he has the attention span and concentration abilities of a weed. Despite my best efforts, AK keeps feeding him and he keeps growing. Our plan is to keep him so busy with school, sports & the arts that he won't notice he's a teenager and is supposed to hate us. T minus 2.5 years to teen launch, so far so good.

 

 

 Ben and Milo are phenomenal little creatures who remind us minute-by-minute not only how little control we have in this world, but why we should cease our controlling efforts and just laugh at all of God's jokes. Lately, Milo likes to dance and is good on the piano. Ben likes to mimic Max and enjoys manipulating adults and anyone else who has no idea how quietly brilliant he is. Both of them would love your full and complete attention. Really, stop reading silly blogs and join the fan club now. Ok? Ok.

 

 

 

 

 

 

  

 

Zee's Designs

Blogger