Tuesday, January 23, 2007

The Pinnacle of Western Culture in Entertainment

. . . was The Muppet Show.

And that is why my paternal cup is runnething over with pride as I sit in my workshop, painting and photoshopping, as my 5 year old twins are howling with laughter over Steve Martin's first Muppet Show appearance. He was in the middle of Ramblin Guy and I swear to you both of them erupted in applause. They are giggling contagiously and with increasing intensity at every physical gag. We all marvelled at the Carol Burnett episode after Steve Martin, and now we are at the beginning of the Gilda Radner episode. Eskimo pigs are singing "The Lullabye of Broadway" and I'm convinced that television enternainment never was, nor has ever been, this good.

The show appealed universally to both young and old. The jokes were corny and over the top, but when done with enthusiasm and sincerity by fuzzy caricatures, animals, vegetables and Whatevers -- you can't help but want to join in and laugh. I came along a little too late for the glut of TV variety shows, and only remember Donny & Marie and Flip Wilson in my earliest memories. But I must say that TV programming that is clearly escapist and foolish and overtly entertaining is SOOOO much more my speed than reality. No, I don't find the staged reality of reality TV to be entertaining at all. And the REAL reality of AK's favorite: Really Real Totally Gory and Real Emergency Room Trauma? No thank you.

Give me the sassy sarcasm of Kermit in the very first episodes (and revived a few years ago for an interview with John Stewart). That's where Dave Letterman learned his schtick, you know! Give me the comic thespians, the comedians who could sing, and the singers who could act. Give me Frank Oz's over-the-top stealing of any & every scene. Give me the Zen of Jim Henson, even the commercial zeal of Brian Henson since without it Muppets would be dead and we'd have no Pepe or Bobo the Bear. And what better test is there of an actor's mettle than to place them up on platforms and ask them to interact believably with puppets?

The term "Muppet" is believed, I think, to come from Mobile Puppets. Jim Henson was a puppet guy originally in the 50s, when puppets lived -- as they always had -- in a box. Television was taking off like crazy in the 50s, and Jim Henson's brilliance was to see the TV box as a puppet box that could move around with them. He gave puppets a whole world that they could walk around in and interact with.

I'm going to try and upload/link you to that Jon Stewart video. Then I'm going to search the internet for the latest goings on in Muppetland, so I can report to you. Both of you. Because the more I think about it, the more important Muppets are.

:)

 

 

7 Comments:

Blogger Twinkle said...

I agree, Muppets rule. Poppins' kids usually glut themselves on some of my Muppet movies when they come to visit - I'm jealous that you have the show at your disposal!!

I still sing the "DA NA NA NA do do, dododo" song. Apparently my memory has added a little muppet that pops up and tries to sing "You are my sunshine" into that skit - I'm sure it's real, but no one else remembers it!

Glad your munchkins are enjoying them too.

Word to the spreading of the Gospel of Muppets!!

10:17 AM  
Blogger PupDaddy said...

OH man do I need to find a way to post videos. I worked on it last night & could not. I have the original "Muhnuh mununh", the newer one with "Phenomena" and Sandra Bullock, and on a CD somewhere we have Presidents of the USA singing it! It could be the new Naked Mole Rat: Todays Daily Muppet Thing of The Day

10:25 AM  
Blogger The Crib Chick said...

Man...you've exposed a failing of mine as a parent; we own no episodes of the Muppet Show. :o(

Movies, yes...but I think you're right; there's something that remains unmatched about the Show.

11:19 AM  
Blogger PupDaddy said...

Indeed the show is it's own thing. And best viewed in it's historical context, like Historical Documents in GalaxyQuest. They have only released Season One on DVD (and my sons have lost disc 3) but there are also some older "Best of The Muppet Show" DVDs floating around out there. Those are the gems because they really are the best ones. I found one at a video store that was going out of business, my mom bought two from a DVD club years ago. I am SO working on the video-in-the-blog thing. Must. . . spread. . .the Muppet. . . word. .

11:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I picked up this great book when I worked at B&N (for 30% off) about Jim Henson and the Muppet show. It's called Jim Henson: The Works. You would LOVE it! It talks about the beginning of muppets, Jim Henson and all things muppets. I also have Sesame Street: Unpaved that goes over the first 30 years of Sesame Street. Both are coffee table books full of pictures. They are great. Go to amazon.com and it will pair the Unpaved book with another book about Jim's sketches and such. I love the muppets! Sabine likes watching thr movies, our library as some of the vidoes. When the VCR is hooked up maybe I'll rent them for me.. I mean her. ;)
S.

9:22 PM  
Blogger network_weasel said...

The Muppets and M*A*S*H defined my childhood television experience. Ok, there was the Dukes of Hazard and the Love Boat, but they don't really stand the test of time.
I am waiting a little longer before I introduce our little one to the joys of the Muppet Show. He enjoys Sesame Street so he is on the right track.

11:21 AM  
Blogger PupDaddy said...

I'm right there with you, Aaron. Vickie Stubing was my heartthrob. MASH reruns were on at 6pm AND 7pm every weekday. Did anyone else get nightmares from watching "In Search Of" with Leonard Nimoy on Sunday evenings?

11:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Pupp Daddy Dog spends his days working as an entrepeneur and as a Dad. He is passionately in love with/obsessively neurotic about his family. Imagine Kicking Bird mixed with Albert Brooks. Oh, and throw in some Notorious B.I.G.

 

Alaska is the frustrated but caring cat at the center of our canine universe. All of us alternately worship, rely on and ceaselessly whine to her. Her need to control everything is confounded by the fact that she really pretty much does control everything, so in her few free moments, she knits and searches desperately for things to fuss about.

 

 

Max is smart and handsome, with a big heart. He is not only growing like a weed, but he has the attention span and concentration abilities of a weed. Despite my best efforts, AK keeps feeding him and he keeps growing. Our plan is to keep him so busy with school, sports & the arts that he won't notice he's a teenager and is supposed to hate us. T minus 2.5 years to teen launch, so far so good.

 

 

 Ben and Milo are phenomenal little creatures who remind us minute-by-minute not only how little control we have in this world, but why we should cease our controlling efforts and just laugh at all of God's jokes. Lately, Milo likes to dance and is good on the piano. Ben likes to mimic Max and enjoys manipulating adults and anyone else who has no idea how quietly brilliant he is. Both of them would love your full and complete attention. Really, stop reading silly blogs and join the fan club now. Ok? Ok.

 

 

 

 

 

 

  

 

Zee's Designs

Blogger