Sunday, August 06, 2006

Detritus. Flotsam. Jetsam.

There is a spider living in our Ford Expedition's rear view mirror assembly. It is the size of a German Shepherd, it's web would snag our poodle Thor it's so big, and driving 60mph does not phase the spider or it's web in the least. On our way home from Max's swim party yesterday, I think the guy was actually windsurfing.

Netflix Report:
Liberty! The American Revolution This is the first thing I've seen or read that actually made the revolutionary war interesting to me. It's a 3-disc series, highly recommended. Watch these in conjunction with National Treasure and it's a lot of fun.
Roll Bounce OH MY GOBBLEDY GOOKIN' GIZZLE this was fun! The story was totally formulaic and most of the characters completely 2-dimensional aside from a standout performance by Chi McBride as an out-of-work widower & father. BUT man the soundtrack was a stellar collection of soul, funk and the Disco that I will argue to my grave is not disco! And SKATING in every other scene! The cool kind, the kind you used to see in the park on Saturday, the kind that the very best at Roller World did, the kind we all tried to do and fell on our butts. There was a po' old skate rink and a shiny new one that looked like Studio 54. My beloved Roller World out in Clayton was exactly in between the two in the movie, in that it wasn't as old as the older rink but all the cool stuff like carpeted mushrooms to sit on, funky carpet designs and a disco ball -- was really worn out, dirty & beat up. This movie makes me want to go right out to a skating rink (do they still exist?) and do the little cross-over bop-up-and-down thing that me and JT Crawford (with his 'fro out to the moon) taught ourselves to do. I had a pair of black skates with super-wide, bright green wheels and I loved them so much I wore them even when they were 3 sizes too small. My only beef with this silly but deliciously nostalgic (for me) movie was that all the skating was cuts between the skaters on the bottom and the actors on the top. I wanted to see more whole-body jam skate dancing like the dudes in Golden Gate Park. I SOOOOOO wanted to be those guys.
Dazed & Confused Got this for $4 along with some others (Roll Bounce as well, check out your local Hollywood for this deal) and it's not a bad coming of age, torment & turbulence of High School movie. Honestly, the only interesting part was seeing young Ben Affleck, Parker Posey, Matthew McConoughey & Milla Jovovich. -- who I kept wanting to say "MOOLTEEPASS". She never did :(.
Hitch We're all Big Willie fans in this house, but Kevin James totally stole this movie. I'm surprised he's not a huuuuuge comedy star by now. Or is he & I don't know because all I ever get to see that's current are kids movies?
Kinsey Sometimes cute, mostly sad movie about the first American sexual revolution and the man who made it happen. Like most movies, it stars Liam Neeson. I have a special affinity for Laura Linney who plays Mrs. Kinsey so that's worth the $4 right there. A fellow PGMUFCPSC associate pointed out that Laura Linney has a smile/look similar to those of The Lovely & Talented Mrs. Hults. Word.


Perhaps my Lauralinneyphilic tendencies have been explained? I know, it's not a fair comparison, Alaska is so much prettier. And she's never kissed Liam Neeson.

 

 

2 Comments:

Blogger Twinkle said...

Mooolteeepasss!!!

I can never say "chicken" the same way again, thanks to The Fifth Element. It always makes me sad when people don't get the reference...

10:56 AM  
Blogger Kristen said...

i'm on my mom's computer so i don't have your e-mail address. but, i wanted to tell you that, even though sparks is not such a small town, it turns out that shiron's (sp?) kid(s?) go to irene's school! crazy!

12:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Pupp Daddy Dog spends his days working as an entrepeneur and as a Dad. He is passionately in love with/obsessively neurotic about his family. Imagine Kicking Bird mixed with Albert Brooks. Oh, and throw in some Notorious B.I.G.

 

Alaska is the frustrated but caring cat at the center of our canine universe. All of us alternately worship, rely on and ceaselessly whine to her. Her need to control everything is confounded by the fact that she really pretty much does control everything, so in her few free moments, she knits and searches desperately for things to fuss about.

 

 

Max is smart and handsome, with a big heart. He is not only growing like a weed, but he has the attention span and concentration abilities of a weed. Despite my best efforts, AK keeps feeding him and he keeps growing. Our plan is to keep him so busy with school, sports & the arts that he won't notice he's a teenager and is supposed to hate us. T minus 2.5 years to teen launch, so far so good.

 

 

 Ben and Milo are phenomenal little creatures who remind us minute-by-minute not only how little control we have in this world, but why we should cease our controlling efforts and just laugh at all of God's jokes. Lately, Milo likes to dance and is good on the piano. Ben likes to mimic Max and enjoys manipulating adults and anyone else who has no idea how quietly brilliant he is. Both of them would love your full and complete attention. Really, stop reading silly blogs and join the fan club now. Ok? Ok.

 

 

 

 

 

 

  

 

Zee's Designs

Blogger